Girls Aloud obscenity case dropped

29 Jun 2009

girls_aloud_darryn_walker
The Crown Prosecution Service has dropped its case against Darryn Walker, the civil servant who was facing trial under the Obscene Publications Act for writing a violent pornographic fantasy story about pop group Girls Aloud.

Darryn Walker was charged last year after posting a pornographic fantasy about Girls Aloud on a website. The story, entitled “Girls (Scream) Aloud”, described the kidnap, rape, mutilation and murder of the members of the group.

Most prosecutions brought under the Obscene Publications Act relate to images and video. The prosecution of Darryn Walker would have been a landmark test case for the freedom to publish pornographic writing online.

A statement from the Crown Prosecution Service said: “[T]he prosecution had received a number of expert reports, one of which cast doubt over the accessibility of the article to people searching the Internet and that it could only be found by those determined to find it. The prosecution was unable to provide sufficient evidence to contradict this and so took the decision there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction.”

“This prosecution should never have been brought in the first place,” said Jo Glanville, editor of Index on Censorship. “Since the landmark obscenity cases of the 60s and 70s, writers have been protected from such prosecutions and have remained free to explore the extremes of human behaviour. This case posed a serious threat to that freedom. In future, obscenity cases should be referred directly to the director of public prosecutions before any prosecution is triggered.”

http://www.indexoncensorship.org/2009/06/girls-aloud-obscenity-case-dropped/

Talk about this story

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • LinkedIn
  • Blogger
  • StumbleUpon
  • Email
  • RSS

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

«  •  »

  1. [...] Crown Prosecution Service has dropped a rare case brought under the Obscene Publications Act against a man who wrote a violent pornographic story about the pop group Girls [...]

  2. Reason

    June 29, 2009 at 14:28

    Good news for common sense. The case should never have been brought in the first place.

  3. [...] Source: Index on Censorship [...]

  4. [...] Full post at this link… [...]

  5. [...] Index on Censorship [...]

  6. [...] It could be said Walker acted provocatively – certainly more provocatively than Christopher Handley, whose fantasies involved no real people, were sent to his private address in a sealed wrapper, and were only uncovered by agency of the State. Yet the case against Walker, a potential landmark test case for the freedom to publish pornographic writing online,  was dropped  a few days ago. [...]

6 Responses to “Girls Aloud obscenity case dropped”