Posts Tagged ‘Bahrain’

Bahraini activist acquitted of Twitter charges but remains in prison

August 23rd, 2012

Prominent Bahraini human rights activist Nabeel Rajab was today acquitted of insulting the Sunni citizens of the island of Muharraq on Twitter. Rajab was sentenced to three months in prison on 9 July for his remarks on the site. However, the activist remains in jail after being sentenced to three years in prison last week for his involvement in “illegal protests”. Rajab, who is also head of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights (BCHR), has played in active role in condemning the government’s brutal crackdown on  anti-government protests and activists since the start of unrest during February last year. Rajab was presented with the Index on Censorship Advocacy Award earlier this year.

Bahrain activist Nabeel Rajab sentenced to three years in prison

August 16th, 2012

Index on Censorship condemns the sentencing human rights defender and Index award winner Nabeel Rajab to three years in prison
(more…)

Bahrain: Blogger remanded for blasphemous remarks

June 20th, 2012

A Bahraini blogger has been remanded for 45 days, after posting offence remarks towards Aisha, a wife of the Prophet Muhammad. The unnamed blogger, who admitted the charges, was arrested last week for posting comments deemed “highly negative” in an online forum. Public prosecutor Ali Al Buainain said that the blogger regularly used the same forum to post blasphemous remarks, and had repeatedly re-registered under a pseudonym after being ejected.

Sport v human rights

June 18th, 2012

Despite talk of reform, the Bahrain Grand Prix and the Beijing Olympics proved to be catalysts for rights abuses. Mihir Bose asks whether human rights should be a criterion for hosting coveted international sporting events

(more…)

Bahraini human rights defender Nabeel Rajab re-arrested

June 7th, 2012

Index on Censorship award winner Nabeel Rajab was re-arrested yesterday for allegedly insulting citizens of a predominantly Sunni village on the popular social networking site, Twitter. According to prosecutors, Rajab was taken into custody to investigate charges filed by citizens of Muharraq, who are accusing the activist of publicly insulting them and “questioning their patriotism”. Rajab, who is also head of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights (BCHR), has slammed the new charges, calling them “vindictive accusations”. He was last released on bail on 28 May, and still faces charges of “illegal protesting” and insulting public officials on Twitter.

Index award winner released from Bahraini prison

May 29th, 2012

Index on Censorship welcomes yesterday’s release of prominent rights activist and Index 2012 Award winner Nabeel Rajab, and calls for all charges against the activist to be dropped (more…)

Bahrain: Abdulhadi Alkhawaja ends hunger strike

May 29th, 2012

Prominent Bahraini rights activist Abdulhadi Alkhawaja ended his hunger strike yesterday (28 May), according to his lawyer, Mohammad Al-Jishi. Alkhawaja, who was on hunger strike for 110 days, started his hunger strike on 8 February saying that he would strike until “freedom or death”.  The former head of Bahrain Centre for Human Rights (BCHR) was brought to a hearing last Tuesday in a wheelchair, where he told the court about being force-fed during his hunger strike. He is currently serving a life sentence for his involvement in anti-government protests last year. Al-Jishi used the social networking site Twitter to announce the end of the strike, saying that it had “generally achieved its results to shed the light on the case of the detainees in Bahrain”.

Prominent Bahraini rights activist Nabeel Rajab released on bail

May 28th, 2012

Prominent rights activist  and head of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights (BCHR), Nabeel Rajab was released on bail this morning according to his lawyer. Rajab was arrested upon his arrival to Manama’s international airport earlier this month. The activist was released on bail of 300 BD (£500), but still faces charges of “insulting an authority” on the social networking site Twitter, as well as “organising illegal protests”. Earlier this year, Rajab accepted the Index on Censorship Advocacy Award in London on behalf of the BCHR.