Ireland: blasphemy law passes Dáil
July 8th, 2009
Ireland’s new blasphemy legislation has been passed through the Dáil as part of the Defamation Bill. The Bill will now go to the upper house, the SeanadTags: Tags: blasphemy, Dermot Ahern, Ireland,
July 8th, 2009
Ireland’s new blasphemy legislation has been passed through the Dáil as part of the Defamation Bill. The Bill will now go to the upper house, the SeanadTags: Tags: blasphemy, Dermot Ahern, Ireland,
July 7th, 2009
The government should not be creating new laws to enforce provisions written in the reactionary 1930s, says Michael Nugent
(more…)
Tags: Tags: blasphemy, Ireland, Michael nugent,
April 30th, 2009
Justice Minister Dermot Ahern has defended a proposal to introduce new legislation on blasphemy. Read more hereTags: Tags: blasphemy, Dermot Ahern, Ireland,
April 29th, 2009
The Irish government’s plan to introduce blasphemy legislation may seem a retrograde step, but it is part of a broader global trend, writes Padraig Reidy
(more…)
Tags: Tags: blasphemy, Dermot Ahern, Ireland,
September 18th, 2008
Four men appeared in court in Northern Ireland on 16 September to face charges relating to the 2001 murder of Sunday World journalist Martin O’Hagan. (more…)Tags: Tags: Ireland,
June 5th, 2008
Gay sex, moral crusades and Desperate Dan: the Mayo Echo row has it all, writes Joseph Sexton
A popular community-based website in the west of Ireland was forced to cease operating last week in the fallout that followed the publication of an inflammatory article in a local newpaper attacking alleged gay ‘perverts’.
The article, penned by Tony Geraghty, editor and proprietor of local freesheet, the Mayo Echo, provoked widespread debate on Irish web forums. This quite startling front-page article, which reads like a bad Onion spoof, told the story of a recreational area in Castlebar, Co Mayo being transformed into a latter day Sodom, with hundreds of men visiting on a weekly basis to have anonymous sex with strangers, propositioning young boys, and getting their rocks off whilst thumbing through children’s magazines. Perhaps most horrifying, the article described ‘drooling perverts getting off whilst watching children’ playing at an adjacent playground.
(more…)
February 1st, 2008
Ireland’s new media watchdog will itself be under severe scrutiny, writes Michael Foley
It was a long time coming, but after debates going back to the 1970s, Ireland has finally joined the rest of Europe and has established a press council, which opened for business in January.
The new press ombudsman, Professor John Horgan, and the 13-person press council opened their city centre premises in Dublin following a launch addressed by Minister for Justice Brian Lenihan. At the launch, the minister announced that privacy legislation, which has been approved by the cabinet, would be parked, “in order to allow the press council the opportunity to prove its effectiveness in defending the right to privacy from unwarranted intrusion by the media.”
He continued: “I don’t think I am breaching any state secrets when I tell you that not all my colleagues had boundless enthusiasm for this approach. I would not for a moment dismiss their reservations and, indeed, concern about media intrusion is not exclusive to those of us involved in politics.”