Posts Tagged ‘northern ireland’

Northern Ireland: bullet sent to journalist

January 7th, 2013

Bullets were sent to a journalist and politician in Northern Ireland this weekend, as tensions continue to rise over a controversial decision last month to only fly the Union flag over Belfast City Hall on specific days rather than year round. Local police intercepted a letter with a bullet intended for a Belfast-based journalist who had reported on loyalist protests. A bullet and sympathy card addressed to Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) assembly member Patsy McGlone were also intercepted by Royal Mail over the weekend. Last month a pipe bomb was planted outside of the home of a Northern Ireland press photographer.

Pipe bomb planted outside home of Northern Ireland photographer

December 14th, 2012

A pipe bomb was defused early this morning after it was planted outside of the home of Northern Ireland press photographer Mark Pearce. While no one has taken responsibility for the attack, Pearce believes he was targeted for his work, but does not remember a recent photograph that could have angered of one of the country’s banned paramilitary groups. Northern Ireland has recently seen a rise in tensions after Belfast officials last week decided to fly the Union flag on certain days, rather than displaying it year round, sparking protests from  loyalists.

Northern Ireland: Contempt case against Peter Hain dropped

May 17th, 2012

A contempt of court charge brought against former NI Secretary Peter Hain regarding criticisms he made of a judge in Northern Ireland has been dropped. Hain had written to Attorney General John Larkin about the remarks, stressing he never intended to question Lord Justice Paul Girvan’s motivation in handling a judicial review. Larkin said the case against Mr Hain — who had faced a charge of “scandalising a judge” despite doubts from his lawyers over the existence of the offence — no longer needed to continue.

Northern Ireland: Man fined for posting anti-Catholic abuse on Facebook

April 13th, 2012

A man from County Antrim, Northern Ireland, was fined £250 for writing “Kill all Taigs” — a pejorative term for Catholics — and “Fuck The Pope” on social networking site Facebook on his 21st birthday last August. Dean Boyd admitted to police that he should not have posted the message — which he removed 20 minutes after doing so — but said it had only been intended for his friends and he had not intended to trigger hatred, the prosecution told Coleraine magistrates’ court. It is the first case of its kind in Northern Ireland involving sectarian abuse on a social networking site.

Northern Ireland Police threaten academic freedom

April 2nd, 2012

 As a crucial legal battle comes to a head, Anthony McIntyre explores the contempt for academic research and protection of confidential sources behind the courtroom drama (more…)

Northern Ireland: Press Association photographer shot in the leg as Belfast violence erupts

June 22nd, 2011

Press Association photographer Niall Carson, who was covering violence in east Belfast was shot in the leg during a riot on Monday night. Stones, fireworks, petrol bombs and improvised missiles have been thrown between rival groups of masked rioters. Carson was taken to Royal Victoria hospital where he is now said to be in a stable condition.

Investigative journalist wins damages in libel case against NUJ

March 8th, 2011

Suzanne Breen has been awarded damages in her libel case against the National Union of Journalists. She brought an action for defamation against the NUJ when the union’s magazine published a member’s letter concerning her stance on protecting sources in articles about the Real IRA. The settlement also included an apology and a retraction.

UK: Anti-death penalty exhibition cancelled by organiser

October 6th, 2010

The organiser of an exhibition of anti-death penalty posters has cancelled the event, because he feels it has been censored. Herve Matine said that councillors wanted to split up the collection, placing the more graphic images in a separate room with limited access. He was told that around a third of the posters, some of which depict hangings, would be moved because they could influence young people. DUP councillor Brian Kingston called the exhibition “disturbing”, but Matine stressed the importance of “public awareness”.