Posts Tagged ‘philippines’

Philippines: Art exhibit deemed offensive censored

August 12th, 2011

Officials at the state-run Cultural Centre of the Philippines shut an art exhibit on Tuesday after it provoked heated debate, threats and hate mail for combining Christian symbols with phallic objects. The decision by the centre’s board of directors came a day after former first lady and art patron Imelda Marcos joined politicians and Roman Catholic church leaders in denouncing the exhibit. The board said it made the decision because of “an increasing number of threats to persons and property,” including the artists and staff. It said the threats increased after critics vandalised an installation by removing a wooden penis from a poster depicting Jesus Christ.

Philippines: Radio journalist killed

June 13th, 2011

A radio journalist for DWEB, a private station based in Manila, was shot twice in the back on his way to work. Romeo Olea’s wife said that he had received death threats and police believe the murder is linked to Olea’s recent stories criticising a city government in the east Philippines.

Philippines: Radio journalist face criminal defamation charges

April 20th, 2011

A local city councillor in the Philippines has brought two criminal defamation charges against a radio journalist. Alberto Loyola, who works for Radio DxRJ, was arrested on 18 April and has since been released on bail. Chonilo Ruiz brought the charges after Loyola accused him of lying about the city budget. If convicted Loyola could face up to six years in jail.

Philippines: Reporter shot dead

January 25th, 2011

Gerardo “Gerry” Ortega, a broadcaster with Radio Mindanao Network was shot dead on Monday 24 January in Puerto Princesa city. His lawyer has claimed that his murder was related to his work. According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, 99 journalists have been killed in Philippines since 1992, with one of the worst massacres taking place in the Maguindanao province of Phillipines in 2009 when 32 media workers were murdered.

Maguindanao Massacre: First anniversary marked by little progress

November 23rd, 2010

Harry RoqueA year after the Philippines witnessed the mass slaughter of 58 people, including 32 journalists, justice for the victims’ families seems a distant prospect. Harry Roque reports.
(more…)

Philippines: Three journalists killed in a week

June 22nd, 2010

Three Filipino journalists have been murdered in separate incidents over the last seven days. Sun FM broadcaster Desidario Carmangyan was shot on Monday 15 June, when on stage hosting a talent contest in the southern island town of Manay, Joselito Agustin, a broadcaster with DZJC Aksyon Radyo-Laoag, was gunned down on Tuesday by two unidentified motorcyclists near the northern town Baccara whilst walking home from work and on Saturday night, Kastigador reporter Nestor Bedolido was killed after being shot six times outside a karaoke bar in Digos city. All three had been outspoken about political corruption, malpractice and other illegal activities. Local authorities say they have set up a special task group to investigate the attacks.

Maguindanao massacre: Impunity and power

May 5th, 2010

Harry RoqueThe Aroyo governments drops the pretence it is capable of prosecuting its political allies implicated in the slaughter of reporters. The only hope for the victim’s family is that the upcoming elections will deliver change argues Harry Roque
(more…)

Impunity: stopping the killers

January 26th, 2010

joel simonImpunity is an urgent issue facing press freedom campaigners. Joel Simon of the Committee to Protect Journalists outlines a roadmap for action
(more…)