Posts Tagged ‘Saudi Arabia’

Saudi Arabia: Hamza Kashgari “repents”, family member says

February 15th, 2012

Saudi journalist Hamza Kashgari has repented for his tweets deemed insulting to the Prophet Mohammed, according to a family member. They said Kashgari, 23, ”has affirmed to his family that he stands by his repentance, that he has made a mistake and regrets it.” The newspaper columnist fled Saudi Arabia after tweeting a mock conversation between himself and the prophet Mohammed that sparked thousands of responses, including death threats. He was arrested and detained upon his arrival in Malaysia on 9 February, before being sent back to Saudi in controversial circumstancs.  He may be accused of apostasy, which is a capital offence in his native Saudi Arabia.

Malaysia: Hamza Kashgari deported unlawfully, lawyers claim

February 15th, 2012

Lawyers representing Saudi journalist Hamza Kashgari have said there are no immigration records of his deportation from Malaysia last Sunday, suggesting the columnist may have been sent back to his native country in violation of international laws and that the Malaysian government may have acted in contempt of court. 23-year-old Kashgari fled Saudi Arabia after tweeting a mock conversation between himself and the prophet Mohammed that sparked thousands of responses, including death threats. He was arrested and detained upon his arrival in Malaysia on 9 February.  Kashgari may be accused of apostasy, which is a capital offence in Saudi Arabia.  

“Interpol is meant to be tackle serious crime, not act as the little helper for régimes that want to kill journalists”

February 13th, 2012

MacShaneThe global police organisation went beyond its remit in pursuing Saudi Arabian journalist Hamza Kashgari, says Denis MacShane MP. Now we must ensure the kingdom’s authorities respect free speech

(more…)

Hamza Kashgari targeted under guise of “religious offence”

February 13th, 2012

Following the deportation of Hamza Kashgari to Saudi Arabia where he faces the death penalty, Myriam Francois -Cerrah explores the real reason the journalist is being targeted

(more…)

Malaysia: Saudi journalist Hamza Kashgari deported

February 12th, 2012

Malaysian authorities have deported a Saudi journalist accused of insulting the prophet Mohammed on Twitter, it was reported today. Newspaper columnist Hamza Kashgari fled Saudi Arabia after tweeting a mock conversation between himself and the prophet Mohammed last week that sparked thousands of responses, including death threats. He was arrested and detained upon his arrival in Malaysia last Wednesday. Insulting the prophet is considered blasphemous in Islam and is punishable by death in Saudi Arabia.

Malaysia: Saudi writer arrested for blasphemy over Mohammed tweets

February 10th, 2012

A Saudi journalist was arrested in Malaysia on Wednesday night after a request by Interpol on behalf of Saudi authorities. Hamza Kashgari tweeted a mock conversation between himself and the prophet Mohammed last week, and fled the kingdom after he received thousands of death threats. Kashgari was en route to New Zealand when he was arrested. Saudi Arabia is seeking his extradition in order to try him for blasphemy.

Saudi Arabia: Shia protester ‘shot dead’

January 16th, 2012

One person has been killed and at least three others have been injured in clashes between security forces and Shia protesters in Saudi Arabia. 22 year-old Issam Mohammed died in al-Awamiya on Friday, after live ammunition was fired into the crowd by troops.  The troops began firing after protesters threw stones at them. Officials  also said a security vehicle was shot at and attacked with petrol bombs. Meanwhile, a Saudi Arabian man has been arrested by the country’s religious police for allegedly using Facebook to arrange dates with other men. If charged with being gay, the man could face massive fines, flogging, jail or death.

Saudi Arabia: Radio Netherlands Worldwide websites blocked

August 15th, 2011

According to Radio Netherlands Worldwide, Saudi Arabian listeners have been unable to access their websites. While no official reason has been given for the block, the station believes that it may be linked to a video posted on the Arabic version of the website. The video, posted on 15 July, showed a migrant worker being beaten. Earlier this year, Radio Netherlands Worldwide also reported on the exploitation and deplorable working conditions of domestic workers at the Saudi Embassy in The Hague.