Posts Tagged ‘SCAF’

Egyptian journalists reportedly beaten while in military custody

May 9th, 2012

Two Egyptian journalists were reportedly beaten while in military custody. Ahmed Ramadan and Islam Abu al-Ezz, of the online independent daily Al-Badil, said unidentified thugs beat them with swords while covering clashes in Cairo’s Abbasiya neighbourhood on 4 May. Shortly after the attack, the journalists were arrested and their belongings confiscated. They said they were beaten with sticks and kicked repeatedly while being held in the military prosecutor’s office.    

Twelve prominent Egyptian activists referred to military court

March 7th, 2012

Twelve prominent Egyptian activists, including Wael Ghonim and presidential hopeful Bothaina Kamel, have reportedly been referred to a military court on charges of attempting to bring down the state and inciting hatred against the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF). Egypt’s military leaders have faced widespread criticism since they came into power after the fall of Mubarak. Activists working with the No Military Trials Campaign have been campaigning on behalf of 12,000 civilians tried and imprisoned by the military, and report that only  2,613 civilians have been released.

Released Maikel Nabil continues to speak out against military rule

January 30th, 2012

Shahira Amin speaks to Egypt’s iconic blogger, who was released from jail last week

(more…)

Egypt’s media revolution only just beginning

January 17th, 2012

Shahira Amin

A year on from the uprising which ousted Hosni Mubarak, Egyptians are still waiting for media reforms. Shahira Amin reports

(more…)

Egypt: Muslim Brotherhood plans to sue independent newspaper for libel

January 4th, 2012

Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood today announced plans to sue an independent newspaper for allegedly insulting the leader and its female members. Newspaper Al-Fagr published an article on 29 December by Mohamed al-Baz in which he reviewed a book written by Entissar Abdel Moniem, a female ex-member of the Brotherhood who slammed the organisation for their position on women. Muslim Brotherhood spokesman Mahmoud Ghazlan said that al-Baz slandered the group’s leader and its female members, and they would not tolerate defaming “honourable people under the veneer of free opinion.” The paper has also come under fire recently for printing articles against the ruling military leadership.

Egypt: Hunger striker Maikel Nabil’s case postponed for fifth time

December 7th, 2011

The retrial of Egyptian blogger Maikel Nabil Sanad has been postponed to 14 December, making this the fifth time his case has been rescheduled. Maikel, who has been on hunger strike for over 100 days, was sentenced to three years in prison by a military court on charges of “insulting the armed forces” and “spreading false news” in a blog post published last March.  

Egypt: self-censorship and the military hinder press freedom

December 5th, 2011

A crisis in a new Egyptian newspaper over an academic’s criticism of the SCAF leadership does not bode well for the future of independent media
(more…)

Egypt: New media restrictions announced

September 14th, 2011

Egypt’s SCAF announced on Saturday it will enforce the Emergency Law, which allows civilians, including journalists, to be tried in state security courts and detained indefinitely. The announcement came despite the military’s commitment to annul the law by September, a core demand of the revolution. Under the law, security officials would be allowed to take “legal procedures” to suppress acts of “thuggery” and may use “all legal powers to safeguard the country’s security”. Meanwhile, Al-Jazeera reported that Egyptian police raided the offices of a broadcaster it is affiliated with on Sunday, shutting down their live, round-the-clock broadcasts from Cairo.

 •