Posts Tagged ‘Senegal’
March 2nd, 2012
A number of
attacks and threats have been made against journalists covering the
Sengalese presidential elections. At least 12 incidents of threats and physical harm have been recorded against journalists in the lead up to and aftermath of the vote. Senegal’s incumbent President Abdoulaye Wade stood against thirteen other candidates in elections for a third term in power on Sunday. No official results have been released.
January 23rd, 2012
Two
Sengalese journalists have been given suspended prison sentences after been convicted of
criminal libel. Editor Mamadou Biaye and reporter Mamadou Ticko Diatta of private daily newspaper Le Quotidien were given a three month suspended sentence after the publication of an article alleging that Bakary Diémé, deputy mayor of the district of Goudomp, had links to armed separatists of the Movement of Democratic Forces of Casamance (MFDC). Le Quotidien told the court their information came from military sources, but Diémé rejected the allegations. Diémé was awarded 2 million CFA francs (US$3,500).
October 20th, 2011
An
opposition activist is facing five years in prison for libelling President Abdoulaye Wade in
Senegal. Malick Noel Seck, General Secretary for the Socialist Convergence Youth, a movement of the Senegalese Socialists Party, is facing three counts of libelling the head of state, contempt of court and issuing death threats, following his appearance in court last week. The prosecutor is said to have demanded a five-year prison term for Seck. The charges follow Seck’s petition in April to Senegal’s constitutional court not to accept the candidacy of President Wade for the 2012 elections.
July 13th, 2010
Senegalese journalist Najib Sagna
has been attacked by four people after claiming that Coumba Gaye, the country’s Deputy Minister for Justice and Human Rights, had recently given birth to an illegitimate son, the result of an extramarital affair with a fellow government minister. Sagna, who identified two of his attackers as relatives of Gaye, was assaulted whilst working to work at Walf Grand Place, a privately-owned newspaper in Dakar.
June 9th, 2009
Monthly magazine L’Essentiel has been suspended for disturbing public order, after the cover page reportedly insulted the President. Read more
here
February 5th, 2008
Mansour Dieng, editor of Senegalese magazine
Icone, was
arrested yesterday, 4 February, after publishing photographs of an alleged gay marriage. Five other men who featured in the pictures were also detained. Homosexuality is illegal in Senegal.