Posts Tagged ‘South Ossetia’

“Web attacks were aimed at Georgian blogger”

August 7th, 2009

Max Kelly, chief security officer at Facebook, told technology website CNET News that denial-of-service internet attacks which disrupted Twitter, Facebook and Live Journal services yesterday were targeted specifically at a Georgian blogger known as Cyxymu. “It was a simultaneous attack targeting him to keep his voice from being heard,” he told the website. The blogger has told the Guardian that he blames the attack on the Kremlin. Today marks one year since the war between Russia and Georgia over the South Ossetia region. Read more here

TV crew detained in South Ossetia

September 9th, 2008

Three members of a television crew from Polish channel Telewizja Polska (TVP) were detained on 8 September near the village Karaleti, between South Ossetia and Georgia. They had been trying to enter the area to report on the expected Russian troop withdrawal. A group claiming to be Ossetian police took them into custody and confiscated their equipment and mobile phones. They were then handed over to the Russian military forces in the region. Read more here

Journalists killed in South Ossetia

August 12th, 2008

Georgian journalists Grigol Chikhladze and Alexander Klimchuk were shot dead on Sunday by pro-independence fighters in South Ossetia. They had been traveling with Teimuraz Kikuradze and US journalist Winston Federley when they came across a road block in Tskhinvali, capital of the breakaway republic of South Ossetia. Ossetian forces opened fire when the journalists attempted to avoid the roadblock. Chikhladze and Klimchuk were killed outright, whilst Kikuradze and Federley were injured in the attack. Chikhladze had been head of Alinia TV and Kikuradze a correspondent for Itar-Tas. Read more here

 •