Thank you for your interest in working at Index on Censorship.
We are currently recruiting.
Magazine Deputy Editor
Salary range: £30-34,500
The award-winning quarterly Index on Censorship print and digital magazine is recruiting a deputy editor to work on its global title. Index magazine was first published in 1972 and has published some of the world’s greatest authors and journalists from Arthur Miller to Nadine Gordimer and Harold Evans. The deputy editor works across all sections of this exceptional magazine, brainstorming ideas, commissioning journalism and fiction, and overseeing copy production.
- Five to ten years’ editing experience
- Commissioning experience
- An excellent knowledge of global news
- Would ideally speak a second language
- Have an excellent international contacts book
- An eye for reshaping stories to give them the strongest angle
- An exceptional ability to hone a sentence and spot a spelling error
- Confident speaking at public events
- Ability to work on WordPress
- Confident use of InDesign
- Precise proofreading
- Budget and deadline management
Main tasks and responsibilities include:
- Commissioning articles from authors around the world
- Editing copy from authors and proofing articles
- Working with the editor on design issues including illustration/photo selection and sourcing, image and text placement using InDesign
- Commissioning translators and keeping a database of translators
- Managing and liaising with writers, proofreaders, translators, designers, agencies and photographers, including arranging payment, fielding general queries and updating the contributor database
- Co-ordinating advertising and the contributor payment system for the magazine
- Maintaining good relationships with authors, photo agencies and illustrators
- Keeping up to date with news stories on free expression issues
- Writing occasional articles
Index website and social media
- Writing articles from and about the magazine for the website using the WordPress content management system.
- Working on the social media policy for the magazine; including on Facebook and Twitter
- Carrying out video interviews
- Organising author contracts for each issue, and distribute to authors for signature
- Arranging payments for authors
- Co-ordinating a financial record of the costs of each issue
- Contributing to the Annual Report; the CEO report and other reports
- Organising payments and contracts for photographers, photo agencies and writers
- Managing the Index style guide
- Attending and helping at magazine launches, and at media and journalism conferences and panels
To apply, please send a CV, three story pitches that could be published in Index on Censorship magazine, with your idea of the perfect author for each piece, and a one-page covering letter to [email protected]
No calls or agencies. Only successful applicants will be contacted.