Do you have some spare time to volunteer? Would you like to help support free speech by giving a few hours of your time to Index?
Index has opportunities for volunteers in several areas, including staffing at events, working on our magazine archive, or helping with research.
Remuneration: Unpaid volunteer board position
Time commitment: 4-6 meetings per year
In addition you will be required to dedicate time to reading of board papers, email correspondence and additional meetings with our head of finance, CEO and accountants.
Index on Censorship, one of the world’s leading freedom of expression organisations, is looking for a treasurer to join our board of trustees.
Registered in 1971 with the Charities Commission, the Writers and Scholars Educational Trust is known as Index On Censorship and is chaired by Trevor Phillips. The charity has a strong history of protecting free speech and standing up against censorship at home and around the world.
We are strengthening our board with this new role during this important time as freedom of expression faces new challenges, such as the regulation and oversight of digital platforms.
If you have strong financial skills, a keenness for good governance and a passion for free speech you may well be the person we are looking for as we move into an exciting phase of our development, with new projects launching in the USA and the UK.
The treasurer will be expected to attend board meetings, which take place in central London, once a quarter and other ad-hoc meetings as required (usually an additional 2-3 per year, such as auditors’ meetings, events etc.)
The treasurer will work alongside our chair and other board members to ensure good governance and viability of the charity. You will also work with our head of finance, CEO, accountants and other relevant parties. As part of the board your tasks include:
- To take part in formulating and regularly reviewing the strategic aims of the organisation.
- With other trustees to ensure that the policy and practices of the organisation are in keeping with its aims.
- With other trustees to ensure that the organisation functions within the legal and financial requirements of a charitable organisation and strives to achieve best practice.
- Reflect the organisation’s vision and principles, strategy and major policies at all times.
- Follow the code of conduct at all times, particularly when exercising the functions of the trustees, or any of its committees, sub-committees, groups.
- Be an active member of the trustee body in exercising its responsibilities and functions.
- Maintain good relations with senior managerial staff.
- Take part in training sessions provided for the benefit of the trustees.
- Fulfil such other duties and assignments as may be required from time to time by the trustee body.
Additional Duties of the Treasurer
- Being assured by the head of operations of the process of approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements.
- Being assured that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs.
- Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate reserves policy.
- Checking the preparation and presentation of financial reports before their presentation to the board and meeting with auditors.
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place.
- Liaising with any paid staff and volunteers about financial matters.
- Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans.
- Experience of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes.
- Experience on a board or senior governance of a comparable organisation.
- Financial skills accountancy qualifications.
- Commitment to the organisation.
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Strategic vision.
- Good, independent judgement.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Willingness to speak their mind.
Closing date for applications: 18 October 2019
To apply: please send CV and covering letter to [email protected]
Please put the title of the role you are applying for in the subject of the email
Index runs exciting events throughout the year – from panel discussions with distinguished authors and thinkers to gala fundraising evenings to our annual Freedom of Expression Awards. Volunteers help us to staff these events, helping with everything from programmes to drinks. Click here to see a selection of our upcoming and recent events.
Index has been publishing the works of censored writers and artists for more than 40 years, and our archive of material includes writing from authors such as Vaclav Havel, Nadine Gordimer and Salman Rushdie. We are looking for volunteers to help us archive four decades of correspondence and material for new publications.
Index runs a number of campaigns on free expression each year. Recent work has included campaigns on Azerbaijan, Bahrain, art and offence and media freedom in Europe. You can help Index by offering some of your time each week to provide some research on these issues.
Youth advisory board
More information about our voluntary youth board membership can be found here.
If you are able to help in any of these areas, we would love to hear from you. Email us on [email protected] about how you would like to volunteer, your experience, and the time you have available.