DEFAULT
LMFAO: Sorry for protest crushing
19 Apr 2012
BY SARA YASIN

It looks like LMFAO’s party-rockin’ tour has been enlisted in whitewashing Bahrain’s human rights abuses. According to the state-owned Bahrain News Agency (BNA), the duo is set to perform in a free show for fans at the Bahrain Grand Prix Sunday.

Bahrain has borrowed a favourite from the iPod of fellow protest-crusher Syria’s Bashar Al-Assad to help ensure that the race goes forward.

Let’s recap: yesterday, ongoing clashes between protesters and security forces turned violent when stun grenades were fired at a demonstration outside of a cultural exhibition celebrating the upcoming race. Imprisoned hunger striker and activist Abdulhadi Alkhawaja is now entering his 71st day on hunger strike, despite international outrage over his continued detention.

While the BNA has been active in publicising the concert, which they claim was responsible for a recent spike in ticket purchases, LMFAO has kept mum about the concert. They have not publicised the performance, which suggests that they’re being used and they know it.

Both the Bahraini government and CEO of Formula One, Bernie Ecclestone, have claimed that the race would be secured, and dismissed concerns about protesters. Ecclestone claimed that “there’s nothing happening” and that things were “peaceful” in the troubled kingdom. However, former assistant-commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, John Yates, admitted yesterday that they cannot “guarantee security” at the race. He also added that security forces would use live rounds if necessary, but dismissed the possibility as unlikely.

In honour of the group’s Bahrain performance, I’ve made a few memes. Feel free to post your own, and tweet them during their performance on American Idol tonight. Hopefully, their own fans can be made aware of what is happening in Bahrain, and place pressure on the group to avoid being used to take attention away from what has been a failure to make substantial reforms.

7 responses to “LMFAO: Sorry for protest crushing”

1. HAYA says:

STEFAN YOU ARE WRONG ITS NOT A GOOD POST BECAUSE ITS ALL RUBISHE ARE YOU LIVING IN BAHRAIN NOOO I DONT THINK SOOO HOW DO YOU KNOW EVRYTHING THE SOOOOOOOOOO WHY ARE YOU SAYING ITS A GOOD POST YOU DONT EVEN LIVE IN BAHRAIN SO SHUT UPPPPPPP I LIVE IN BAHRAIN AND I KNOW WHATS HAPPINING SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP BECAUSE YOU ARE WRONG

2. HAYA says:

PLEASE COMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

3. HAYA says:

I MEAN PROTESTERS

4. HAYA says:

LOOK IM HAYA IM FROM BAHRAIN AND THER IS NO PRTESTERS THAT DOSENT WHANT YOU IN BAHRAIN ITS ALL JUST A BIG FUKING LIE WE ALL LOVE YOU AND WE ARE WATING FOR YOU GUYS AND I DID A BC THET LMFAO ARE NOT COMING AND EVRYONE SAID OOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHY WHY WE WHANT THEM PLEASE

5. HAYA says:

I LOVE YOU I SWEAR I WOULD DIE FOR YOU GUYS PLEASE COME TO BAHRAIN PLEASE

6. HAYA says:

I THINK LMFAO SHOULD COME AND THAT THEY DONT CARE ABOUT THE HUMAN WRITES BECAUSE THEY DONT HLFT 2 WE WANT THE TO COME BECAUSE WE LOVE THEM IM A REALLY BIG FAN AND WHEN YOU COME PLEASE SHOUT OUT HAYA ABDULRAHIM WE LOVE YOU AND COME UP ON THE STAGE PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I REALLY LOVE YOU REALLY I SWEARE I WOULD DIE FOR YOU GUYS

7. Stefan Skyler says:

Great post! Thought I’d add this meme to the fun… http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3ov2a6/

Index logo white

Join us to protect and promote freedom of speech in the UK and across the world.
Since 1972, Index on Censorship has been leading the campaign for free expression.
Our award-winning magazine originally provided the platform for the untold stories of dissidents and resistance from behind the Iron Curtain and is now a home for some of the greatest campaigning writers of our age.
Journalistic freedom, artistic expression, the right to protest, the right to speak your mind, wherever you live.  These are the founding principles of Index on Censorship.
So join us, by subscribing to our newsletter or making a donation, to use your voice to ensure that everyone else can be heard too.
Go to the Index on Censorship home page