1 July: Silenced on campus: are our universities safe-guarding free expression?
Index on Censorship Summer 2015 Magazine Debate and Drinks
Education, the beginning of so many roads. But if we start closing some of those avenues down, arguing they are too dangerous or challenging, do we begin to travel in a terrifying direction?
From no-platform policies to campus extremism, and student sit-ins to the correct balance between safety and liberty, join us to explore the global situation for freedom of expression on campus.
Come to our lively Question Time-style discussion, chaired by Index on Censorship’s CEO Jodie Ginsberg and introduced by magazine editor Rachael Jolley.
With speakers including:
- Nicola Dandridge, chief executive, Universities UK
- Greg Lukianoff, president and chief executive, Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, USA
- Lord Ken Macdonald, barrister, former director of public prosecution, and warden, Wadham College, Oxford
- Julie Bindel, journalist, broadcaster, author and feminist campaigner
- Siana Bangura, blogger, writer, spoken word poet
Followed by a summer drinks reception.
When: Wednesday 1 July, 6:30-7:30pm event, followed by drinks reception
Where: Clore Centre, Birkbeck College, University of London, WC1E 7HX (Map/directions)
Tickets: Free, registration is required as space is limited.
Presented in conjunction with The Conversation, SAGE Publishing and Arts Council England.
Latest posts by David Heinemann (see all)