Social media platforms wield immense control over the information we see online. With rising pressure from governments; and increasing reliance on algorithms, social media platforms are in danger of silencing millions of activists and marginalised groups across the world with content takedowns and blocked accounts.
You are invited to hear the views from our panellists and take part in a discussion that will shape ARTICLE19 campaign.
Our vision for the campaign is to safeguard freedom of expression online. This cannot be achieved without better accountability and transparency. We will be calling on social media platforms to respect due process guarantees and create clear and transparent mechanisms to enforce such guarantees. Some questions we will be discussing include:
● How content takedown and account deactivation is affecting activism?
● What is the scale of the problem and its impact on free speech?
● What is the role of authorities for content takedown on social media platforms?
● What can be done to improve accountability and transparency online?
● What can the campaign do to amplify voices of those seeking change?