NEWS
Bahrain: Nabeel Rajab hospitalised and denied bail
17 May 2017
BY ATTICUS O'BRIEN-PAPPALARDO
Nabeel Rajab

Bahraini human rights defender Nabeel Rajab (Photo: The Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy)

On Tuesday the detention of human rights activist Nabeel Rajab was extended once again when Bahraini courts denied his request for bail and postponed the first of his two trials until 30 May.

Rajab, whose second trial was scheduled for today, was unable to appear in court due to deteriorating health, resulting in him being taken to a hospital.

After being arrested on 13 June 2016 on charges of spreading “rumours and false news” and tweeting about the war in Yemen, Rajab’s two trials have been postponed over ten times in total. He has now spent nearly a year straight in detention, most of which has been in solitary confinement, contributing to a string of serious medical issues including bleeding ulcers.

The treatment of Rajab, who could face up to 18 years in prison if he is convicted in both cases, has been criticised by human rights activists over the last year. On 12 May 2017, the United Nations Torture Committee released a statement strongly criticising Bahrain’s history of torture as well as urging them to “put an end to the solitary confinement of Mr. Nabeel Rajab and ensure that he is provided with adequate medical assistance and redress”.

It continued: “The Committee is deeply concerned by reports that numerous persons who were deprived of their liberty have been subjected to torture or ill-treatment. It is particularly concerned about the situation of Messrs. Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja, Naji Fateel, Nabeel Rajab, Abduljalil Al-Singace, Hussain Jawad, Abdulwahab Hussain, in particular with regard to their access to medical care.”

The people most at risk in Bahrain “are those who choose to freely express themselves”

Index calls on the UK to stand up to the Bahrain government on human rights after police storm the London embassy to protect protester

Groups urge Amal Clooney to pressure UK to act on Bahrain’s abuse of freedom of expression

Fifteen international organisations have written to Amal Clooney to urge she pressure the UK to act on Bahrain’s human rights abuses.

Ebtisam Al-Saegh: “I think about justice and justice for the rest of the victims”

“My main objective is to tell about the truth and whatever is going on on the ground,” said Ebtisam Al-Saegh, a Bahraini human rights activist, told Index on Censorship.

Groups call on Michelle Bachelet for heightened UN scrutiny of human rights violations in Bahrain

NGOs call for co-ordinated international action and public scrutiny to address the government of Bahrain’s ongoing attacks on civil society and to hold the kingdom accountable to its commitments to international human rights laws and standards

Atticus O'Brien-Pappalardo

Atticus O'Brien-Pappalardo is an intern at Index on Censorship and a Union College undergraduate majoring in political science.
Atticus O'Brien-Pappalardo

Comments are closed.